Columbus Ohio security systems are becoming more advanced as technology increases. However, even the best systems cannot fully protect your home without a little effort and common sense. The following are 12 quick tips and tricks to help protect the home every day:
- Lock up. It may seem like an obvious tip, but most thieves enter through unlocked doors and windows. Lock up before leaving home to avoid giving burglars easy access.
- Don’t give out too much information. In our social media world, we readily put our plans for that fabulous vacation to Hawaii on the internet for all eyes to see. This gives thieves the confirmation they need; your home will be empty. Resist the urge to tell the world all the details. The only person who needs to know is the neighbor responsible for watching your property in your absence.
- Change the locks. Are you moving into a new home, or lost have you lost your keys? It’s time to change the locks. No matter how secure a home may be, a burglar with a key is a serious threat.
- Become a thief. Go outside, walk around the property and think like a burglar. Where are the vulnerable areas? Test your security system, try to break in, and fix any security issues immediately.
- Use timers. Trick thieves into believing someone is home. Thieves know to watch for a light or television that is always on. To get around this, install timers on these devices and have them turn on at random times during the day and night.
- Add deadbolts. Spring locks can be easily breeched in a few seconds with a credit card. Adding deadbolts helps deter would-be thieves.
- Bury keys. Leaving a spare key under the doormat or in a flowerpot is an open invitation for burglars. Try placing the keys in a small container and burying it in the yard instead.
- Watch the wires. Thieves look for signs of security systems, and wires are a dead giveaway. Visible wires are easy for a thief to cut, thereby disabling any alarms and gaining access to your home.
- Add lights. Lights that work off motion detectors are a great deterrent for burglars. Install a few of these in dark areas of the property. Thieves are less likely to continue with their scam once bright lights are shinning upon them.
- Watch landscaping. Big trees and bushes add beauty to property at the cost of safety. Shrubbery helps protect thieves from possible spying eyes. Ensure a good view of the house from the street so neighbors can easily spot any possible problems.
- Check the doorbell. Make sure the doorbell is working and can be heard throughout the home. Thieves like ringing doorbells and pretending to be salesmen if the door is answered. Without a response, they may decide to break in without knowing you are still inside.
- Get a dog. No thief wants to encounter a dog barking “hello.” Burglars prefer to carry out their master plans in silence, and even the smallest barking dog won’t allow that.
For more information on how to keep your home safe, give the professional locksmiths in Columbus, Ohio at All Secured a call today!